Saturday 6 December 2014

HEALHTY GUT HEALTHY BRAIN, GLUTEN FREE CASEIN FREE FOR ADHD

December 6, 2014


As many of you know my son was diagnosed with ADHD about a year and a half ago.  I had spent many many hours researching which treatments, other then medication, to try with him.  We researched supplemental as well as dietary changes.  I have nothing against medications; some kids really do well on them.  But my philosophy was even if other natural treatments helped to lessen the medication doses, I would be happy.  I got so much more then that.
 
During our journey I have also read a lot of different articles about autism.  And that parents back in the 50’s and 60’s were told by their doctors that their children were autistic or displaying autistic symptoms because mothers where cold and distant and unloving to their children.  Could you imagine being told that!  Some of these autistic children can’t handle being touched due to sensory integration disorder, NOT a cold hearted mom.  Parent’s knew better and pushed on to find the reason.
 
Once again parents find proof before the medical community.  I have read article after article that claims this diet does nothing for kids with autism, adhd or any other behavioral issues.  That’s just not true, it does work!!  How can they say that, Troy is living proof.  I have spoken to many parents who have children with adhd and have said “yes, they see marked improvement when their children are on this diet”.   Why they do, I don't know, but I do know that they do.
 
Troy has come a long way since before this diet.  I think part of it is supplements and the other part is diet along with being coloring free, preservative free and additive free.  I am not perfect with this diet, but I sure am pretty darn close.  We do have cheat days, and believe me both of my boys look forward to them.  Troy’s brother Jack is on this diet but more for support and ease.  I actually think it’s a great diet and I am on it as well.  I also love that I am feeding my children so well.  We used to eat fast food about once a week, now it’s once every 4 months.  I used to have IBS and now that is almost gone, I still have occasional flare ups but NOTHING like it was.
 
The medical community is now accepting of the fact that there is a connection between the brain and the gut.  And a lot of these children have gut issues, like a “leaky gut” or “IBS symptoms”.  The school of thought now is that if the gut isn’t working right, or absorbing the proper nutrients or have the proper amount of flora, then the brain suffers.  The brain isn’t nourished enough and the signals aren’t getting to where they need to go to.  Essentially there is a “traffic jam” to the brain.
 
You know how when you are nervous you get butterflies in your stomach?  That is how you can understand the connection between the brain and the gut.  The gut and the brain actually have its own nervous system.  What happens in your gut feeds right back to your brain.  A bloated stomach can actually cause a bloated and inflamed brain.  Keeping you stomach healthy is very important for everyone, but more important for children with these issues.  It will allow good flora to grow which helps keep the gut healthy.  Healthy gut healthy brain.
 
Some of the information from the last paragraph of this blog was taken from this website.  It goes much deeper into the connection and talks about good flora and how important it is, it's a great article:
 

Don’t forget to get a great probiotic which will aid your body in making good flora.  In my first blog post I talk about all the supplements I am giving Troy and the diet itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment